Saturday, May 16, 2009

A Carpet of Flowers, Garden Show and A Tourist, no it is not a Joke

Wow! I love it when you find something so cool that you must pass it along. This was the case with one of my friends. She found this website and forwarded it onto me and now I am passing it along to you.
Have you ever heard of the floral carpets that they make once every two years in Brussels. I hadn't until today. Now I want to go to Brussels. It is amazing that after many months of planning and a few days to put it together that you can only enjoy it for a short time and then it is gone. The one that they did in 2006 is awesome! I cannot say anything more about without giving the the secret away.
I was successful in my Google search using the term floral carpets. I discovered lots of neat treasures like the Ellerslie International Flower Show in Christchurch, New Zealand. This video highlights some of the award winners and their amazing garden designs. The designs are very inviting and relaxing. Many of them I would love to have in my yard, not practical, but we can dream. This is the best video of the flower show I found, it shows the displays in great detail, enjoy.
It is great to see a few ways that the beauty of nature is used and enjoyed.
I forget that some people travel to our great city of Victoria, BC to enjoy the gardens here. We are, after all, called the Garden City. To see what all the fuss is about this is Butchart Gardens. It has been a garden for 104years and family owned since it's beginning. I am embarrassed to say that in my twelve years of living here in Victoria, BC I have never been to Butchart Gardens. I know it is almost a crime, but it is viewed as a tourist thing not a local thing by most living here on the island.
I am sure that most of you reading this have sites in your town that you have never been to as well due to the tourist tag attached to them. Once in awhile it is good to play tourist in your own town. Every year in March the locals of Victoria can be a tourist in their home town. It is great! You can stay in a hotel for a very low price, get into places for free or at a discount like the Royal BC Museum and restaurants will have great meal specials. It is very popular and helps when you are asked by tourists what fun stuff is there to do in Victoria. Again I have never done this, but know people who have and they love it.
This blog went from a huge carpet of flowers to tourism and it all works together. I hope that you get inspired to enjoy a bit of nature this summer. I know I will, the beach in my hometown is calling me back home. I am so looking forward to it.
Thanks for reading RugloverMary

No comments:

Post a Comment